A bidet converter kit, also known as a bidet attachment or bidet sprayer kit, is a bathroom accessory that can be added to a toilet to provide a cleaning method for personal hygiene. It is typically designed as an alternative to toilet paper and allows for more thorough and hygienic cleansing of the anal and genital areas after using the toilet.
A bidet converter kit usually consists of a device that attaches to the existing toilet bowl or seat and connects to the water supply. It may include features such as a nozzle or sprayer that emits a gentle stream of water for cleaning, adjustable water pressure and temperature settings, and sometimes additional features like a feminine wash for women. Some bidet converter kits also include a drying function or a deodorizer to enhance the overall experience.
Bidet converter kits are often considered more environmentally friendly than traditional toilet paper, as they reduce the consumption of paper products and can be more effective at cleaning. They are also seen as a more hygienic option, as they provide a thorough cleansing with water, which can help reduce the risk of irritation, infections, and other health issues.
Bidet converter kits are available in various styles, designs, and price ranges, making them accessible to a wide range of consumers. They can be installed in most bathrooms with a standard toilet, and many kits are designed for easy installation without the need for professional plumbing skills. However, it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and local plumbing codes when installing a bidet converter kit to ensure proper functioning and safety.
So, when might you use a bidet?
A bidet is a plumbing fixture used for personal hygiene, typically after using the toilet. It is commonly used for cleaning the perineal area, which includes the genitals and anus. Bidets are often used in conjunction with toilet paper or as an alternative to toilet paper, depending on cultural preferences and personal habits.
There are several situations in which one might use a bidet:
- After using the toilet: Bidets are commonly used as a way to clean oneself after using the toilet. They can help to effectively clean the perineal area and provide a refreshing feeling of cleanliness.
- During menstruation: Bidets can be used during menstruation to clean the genital area, providing a hygienic option for women to maintain cleanliness during their menstrual cycle.
- After sexual activity: Bidets can be used after sexual activity to clean the genital area, providing a hygienic option to freshen up.
- For general personal hygiene: Some people use bidets as part of their regular personal hygiene routine, similar to how one might use a shower or wash their face. Bidets can provide a thorough and refreshing clean for the perineal area.
- For individuals with certain medical conditions: Bidets can be particularly useful for individuals with certain medical conditions that may require extra care and cleanliness, such as hemorrhoids, anal fissures, or inflammatory bowel disease.
It’s worth noting that bidet usage practices can vary by culture and personal preference. Some people may use bidets exclusively, while others may prefer to use toilet paper or other methods for personal hygiene. Ultimately, the decision to use a bidet is a personal one and can depend on individual preferences, cultural norms, and health considerations.
Convert Your Toilet into a Bidet
Converting your toilet into a bidet can be a simple and cost-effective way to upgrade your bathroom hygiene routine. Here are a few quick and easy ways to do it:
- Bidet attachment: One of the most popular options is to install a bidet attachment on your existing toilet seat. Bidet attachments are affordable and easy to install. They typically attach to the existing toilet seat and use water pressure to provide a cleansing spray. Some bidet attachments even come with adjustable settings for water pressure and spray direction, allowing you to customize your bidet experience.
- Handheld bidet sprayer: Another option is to install a handheld bidet sprayer, also known as a “shattaf.” Handheld bidet sprayers are similar to a handheld showerhead and can be attached to your toilet’s water supply with a hose. They offer flexibility and control as you can direct the spray to the desired area for cleaning.
- Bidet toilet seat: If you’re looking for a more comprehensive solution, you can replace your existing toilet seat with a bidet toilet seat. Bidet toilet seats are designed to replace your regular toilet seat and come with built-in bidet features, such as water spray, adjustable water pressure, temperature control, and even air dryers. While bidet toilet seats may be more expensive than bidet attachments or handheld sprayers, they offer a luxurious and integrated bidet experience.
- Non-electric bidet seat: If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option, you can consider a non-electric bidet seat. Non-electric bidet seats are similar to bidet toilet seats but do not require electricity to function. They use water pressure and mechanical controls to provide a bidet experience without the need for an electrical outlet.
- DIY option: For those who are handy and willing to get creative, you can also consider building your own DIY bidet using basic plumbing components. This may require more effort and technical skills, but it can be a fun and cost-effective way to customize a bidet solution that meets your specific needs.
Before attempting any bidet installation, it’s important to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully, or seek professional help if you’re not confident in your plumbing skills. Make sure to also comply with local building codes and regulations. With proper installation, a bidet can provide a convenient and hygienic solution for your toilet.
Types of Bidets
Bidets are personal hygiene fixtures that are used to clean the genital and anal areas after using the toilet. There are several types of bidets available in the market, including:
- Standalone bidets: These are standalone fixtures that resemble a small, low-to-the-ground toilet. They usually have a faucet or spray wand that sprays water for cleaning and may have additional features such as temperature control, pressure control, and air-drying. Standalone bidets are commonly found in Europe, Asia, and South America, and may require separate plumbing connections.
- Bidet toilet seats: These are seats that can be installed on top of existing toilets, replacing the regular toilet seat. Bidet toilet seats come with built-in spray wands or nozzles that spray water for cleaning, and they often have various features such as temperature control, pressure control, air drying, and even remote controls. Bidet toilet seats are becoming increasingly popular worldwide due to their convenience and ease of installation.
- Handheld bidet sprayers: Also known as bidet sprayers or shatter, these are handheld spray wands that are connected to the toilet’s water supply via a hose. Handheld bidet sprayers are manually operated and can be used to spray water for cleaning, with the user controlling the pressure and temperature of the water. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to install and are commonly used in many parts of Asia, the Middle East, and Africa.
- Bidet attachments: These are devices that can be attached to existing toilets, usually under the toilet seat, and they provide a spray of water for cleaning. Bidet attachments are simpler and less expensive than bidet toilet seats, but they may not have as many features. They are a good option for those who want to add bidet functionality to their existing toilet without replacing the entire toilet seat.
- Travel bidets: These are portable bidet devices that are designed for travel or on-the-go use. They are compact and usually operated by hand squeezing or by using a small pump to spray water for cleaning. Travel bidets are convenient for those who want to maintain their hygiene habits while traveling or outside of their home.
- Built-in bidets: Some toilets come with built-in bidet functionality, where the toilet itself has integrated spray wands or nozzles for cleaning. These toilets are more commonly found in high-end or luxury bathrooms, and they often have advanced features such as automatic sensors, adjustable spray patterns, and heated seats.
These are some of the main types of bidets available in the market. Each type has its own advantages and features, so it’s important to consider your personal preferences and requirements when choosing the right bidet for you.
Best Bidet Converter Kits for 2022
Here are some popular bidet converter kits that were well-reviewed in 2022:
- TOTO Washlet C200: The TOTO Washlet C200 is a premium bidet converter kit that offers a wide range of features, including adjustable water pressure, temperature, and nozzle position. It also has a heated seat, air dryer, and a wireless remote control for easy operation. The TOTO Washlet C200 is known for its durability and performance, and it has received positive reviews for its comfort and effectiveness in providing a refreshing and hygienic cleansing experience.
- Bio Bidet BB-2000 Bliss Series: The Bio Bidet BB-2000 is a high-end bidet converter kit that offers advanced features such as adjustable water pressure, temperature, and nozzle position, along with a heated seat, air dryer, and a deodorizer. It also has a wide spray pattern and pulsating mode for thorough cleansing. The Bio Bidet BB-2000 has been praised for its powerful cleansing performance and luxurious features.
- Brondell Swash SE600: The Brondell Swash SE600 is a mid-range bidet converter kit that offers a good balance of features and affordability. It has adjustable water pressure, temperature, and nozzle position, along with a heated seat and air dryer. It also has a stainless steel nozzle for durability and a wide spray pattern for effective cleansing. The Brondell Swash SE600 has received positive reviews for its ease of installation and user-friendly design.
- Luxe Bidet Neo 320: The Luxe Bidet Neo 320 is a budget-friendly bidet converter kit that offers basic features such as adjustable water pressure and nozzle position. It has a self-cleaning nozzle and a sleek design that fits most toilets. The Luxe Bidet Neo 320 has been well-received for its affordability and ease of use.
- SmartBidet SB-1000: The SmartBidet SB-1000 is another budget-friendly bidet converter kit that offers basic features such as adjustable water pressure and temperature, along with a heated seat and air dryer. It also has a soft-close seat and lid for added convenience. The SmartBidet SB-1000 has been praised for its affordability and easy installation.
It’s important to note that the best bidet converter kit may vary depending on individual preferences and needs. It’s recommended to read customer reviews, compare features, and consider your budget before making a decision. Additionally, it’s always a good idea to consult the manufacturer’s specifications and installation instructions to ensure compatibility with your toilet and plumbing system.
What is the best type of toilet for a bidet converter kit?
In general, most bidet converter kits are designed to be compatible with standard elongated or round toilets, which are the two most common types of toilets found in households. However, it’s important to check the manufacturer’s specifications and installation instructions to ensure that the bidet converter kit is compatible with your specific toilet model.
Here are some factors to consider when choosing a toilet for a bidet converter kit:
- Toilet bowl shape: Bidet converter kits typically work best with elongated toilet bowls, as they provide more space for the bidet nozzle to reach the desired areas for cleansing. Round toilet bowls may also be compatible with certain bidet converter kits, but the available space for the bidet nozzle may be more limited.
- Toilet seat attachment: Bidet converter kits typically replace the existing toilet seat with a bidet seat attachment. Therefore, it’s important to choose a toilet with a compatible seat attachment mechanism, such as a standard bolt or quick-release hinge system, that allows for easy installation and secure attachment of the bidet seat.
- Water supply location: Most bidet converter kits require a source of clean water for operation, so it’s important to consider the location of the water supply connection on your toilet. Some bidet converter kits may require a side-mounted water supply connection, while others may require a bottom-mounted connection. Make sure your toilet has the appropriate water supply connection for the bidet converter kit you’re considering.
- Toilet design and construction: The design and construction of the toilet may also affect the compatibility with a bidet converter kit. For example, some toilets may have a skirted or concealed trapway design that may require additional installation steps or modification for the bidet converter kit to fit properly. It’s important to consider the design and construction of your toilet and check with the bidet converter kit manufacturer for compatibility.
- Electrical outlet availability: Some bidet converter kits may require an electrical outlet for powering features such as a heated seat, air dryer, or deodorizer. If your toilet area does not have an electrical outlet nearby, you may need to consider the availability of electrical outlets or the installation of new outlets during the bidet converter kit installation process.
In summary, it’s important to choose a toilet that is compatible with the bidet converter kit you’re considering, taking into account factors such as toilet bowl shape, seat attachment mechanism, water supply location, toilet design, and electrical outlet availability. Checking the manufacturer’s specifications and installation instructions, as well as consulting with a professional plumber if needed, can help ensure a successful installation of a bidet converter kit on your toilet.
Bidet converter kits are a popular and practical solution for upgrading your existing toilet to a bidet-equipped toilet. They offer a range of features, affordability, and ease of installation, making them a convenient option for adding the benefits of bidet functionality to your bathroom routine. However, it’s important to carefully consider factors such as compatibility with your toilet, features, budget, installation, reviews, maintenance, and warranty before making a decision.
By doing thorough research, checking the manufacturer’s specifications, reading customer reviews, and following installation and maintenance instructions, you can ensure a successful installation and optimal performance of your bidet converter kit. Bidet converter kits can provide improved personal hygiene, increased comfort, and potential health benefits for you and your family. Remember to consider your individual needs, preferences, and budget to choose the bidet converter kit that best fits your requirements.