If we’re going to be honest, most of us are afraid of electricity. What could be more terrifying than such a volatile force in our lives?
Being afraid of it doesn’t mean you should ignore it if something goes wrong. Knowing common electrical problems and how to deal with them goes a long way.
If you’re interested in learning more about home electric issues and how to spot them, then keep on reading.
1. Circuit Overload
When circuits are overloaded, it causes them to draw more current than they are designed to from the electrical system. This can lead to circuit breakers tripping, circuit fuses blowing, or can even cause damage to the wiring.
To prevent this, it is always important to ensure that each circuit is not overloaded with too many devices and that your home’s circuit breaker box is not shorting out. Finding the right generator is also advisable in case of power outages.
2. Power Surges
A power surge is a sudden and brief spike in voltage that occurs in the electrical system. These surges can cause damage to electrical equipment in your home, such as computers, televisions, and appliances. Power surges can be caused by lightning strikes, power outages, and even faulty wiring.
Here are some tips to help protect your home from power surges:
Use Surge Protectors
Install surge protectors on all your sensitive electronics, including computers, televisions, and home theater systems. Surge protectors work by diverting excess voltage to the ground, protecting your equipment from damage.
Unplug Electronics during Storms
Lightning strikes can cause power surges that can damage your electronics. During a storm, unplug any nonessential electronics to protect them from damage.
Install a Whole-House Surge Protector
A whole-house surge protector can protect your entire home from power surges. It is installed at the main electrical panel and provides protection to all the circuits in your home.
Check Your Wiring
Faulty wiring can cause power surges. Have a licensed electrician inspect your wiring to ensure it is in good condition.
Avoid Overloading Circuits
Overloading circuits can cause power surges. Spread your electrical usage across multiple circuits to avoid overloading any one circuit.
Turn Off Appliances When Not in Use
Turning off appliances when they are not in use can reduce the risk of power surges. This is especially important for larger appliances like air conditioners and refrigerators.
3. Flickering or Dimming Lights
Flickering or dimming lights can be one of the most common electrical problems in the home. This issue can range from a loose connection or faulty wiring in the light fixtures to an issue with the electrical panel within the home. If the issue is a loose connection at the fixture, be sure to tighten the screws on both the light bulb and the fixture itself.
If the issue is with the electrical panel, it is best to call a qualified electrician to assess the issue. In some cases, the flickering could be caused by a large appliance cycling or by a short circuit within the home’s wiring.
Lastly, if the issue persists, it is best to check if an overloaded circuit may be the culprit, in which case the circuit should be switched off at the breaker box and reset. In any case, flickering or dimming lights are a common home electrical problem that must be attended to.
4. Dead Outlets
The bad news is that dead outlets don’t always give obvious signs that there is something wrong until you try plugging something in and it doesn’t work. If you have outlets that don’t work, that is a sign that there is something wrong with the wiring.
Before attempting to repair or replace any outlets, it’s important to turn off the circuit breaker connected to that outlet so about avoid an electric shock. There are a few different things that can cause a dead outlet such as a faulty outlet, worn wiring, or loose connection.
Last but not least, it’s important to never try to repair or replace any outlets yourself. Whenever dealing with electrical wiring and installation, it is always best to seek the help of a licensed and certified electrician.
5. Buzzing or Humming Sounds
Buzzing and humming sounds emanating from home electric appliances and devices are usually a cause for concern. This could be an indicator of a more serious electrical issue, including a malfunctioning part or a loose connection. Regularly inspect electrical outlets and fixtures for sparking, discoloration, or if they are unusually hot to the touch.
Excessive buzzing or humming noises within the home’s electrical system may be coming from the main electrical panel. This could be a symptom of a larger problem so it is advised to have an electrician investigate and diagnose the issue. Also, be sure to have a licensed electrician inspect any electrical appliances that make buzzing or humming noises.
If left unchecked, this issue could cause more serious electrical issues and even trigger a residential fire. Ensure the safety of your home below by taking necessary precautions and having a qualified person work on home electric problems.
6. Burning Smell
If you smell something burning coming from a certain home appliance, it could be indicative of a dangerous situation and should not be ignored. Burning smells often point toward electrical problems that can be hazardous for your home and family.
Electrical shorts, typically indicated by a burning smell, typically occur when the wires inside an appliance become frayed and then come into contact with each other. This can be caused by many things including pests, age, or even faulty wiring during installation.
If you notice a burning smell emanating from an area of your home, chances are you have an electrical problem, and should call in a licensed electrician immediately.
Check Your Home Electric System Today
Electric problems are common, and being aware of the potential issues can help you stay safe. Keep lighting, wiring, and outlets in good working condition and be on the lookout for problems.
Make sure to inspect your home regularly and contact a licensed electrician for assistance with any electrical problems you may encounter. Don’t take your chances – take action and protect your home electric system today!
Did you find this article helpful? Check out the rest of our blogs!